Thursday, May 22, 2008

That Fat Feeling

Okay, so when I was pregnant with Jeremiah I went through a bit of a personal crisis when I finally made the jump to 130, a weight I had never reached pre-pregnancy. It wasn't as big of a deal to me when I hit 140, or even 150, but that 130 was a tough milestone to reach. Well, guess who is quickly approaching 130? And a lot faster this time than I did with Jeremiah. As all women who have been pregnant can attest to: the toughest time for your self image is when none of your pre-pregnancy clothes fit right, and none of your maternity clothes fit right either. You either feel fat, or you feel... fat in baggy pants. Not to mention the fact that maternity pants have a tendency to sag in the derriere area, so your back side looks horrible.

Add to it that I now have to purchase a maternity bathing suit. You want to know the worst time to go shopping for a bathing suit and have to look at yourself in three way mirrors? During the "fat period" of your pregnancy. And yet, that is the time that I am forced to try on bathing suits and actually see what I look like in them! Have I mentioned that maternity bathing suits are even worse than maternity pants?

So, needless to say, my self esteem is in a down turn these days, and what do I have to look forward to? The swelling of my face, neck, arms, legs and feet! Ahh, the sweet joys of carrying another human being in your body. The one ray of light I see at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel is the fact that when it's over I will have a beautiful little girl, and the swelling will go down, the pregnancy pounds will be shed, and about two weeks after giving birth I will still weigh about 10 pounds more than I do right now and feel so skinny! That's what is so strange, it's all a matter of perspective.

7 comments:

Melonie said...

I'm so sorry you are down! I can totally relate. I actually feel worse now that I've had the baby then before. I got so many complements when I was pregnant about how small and good I looked (not like it was really any effort from me). Now I just feel fat and have no clothes that fit and I don't even have the pregnant excuse! :) We should get together next week and have a pity party. ;) Just kidding. Love ya!

The Mercer Family said...

I just think it's really brave of you to want to get in a bathing suit. When you're me and at this stage...I just wear capris and t-shirts...that's about as skimpy as I get! hehe Also...if I ever weighed 130 pre-pregnancy...elt alone during...I think I might eat a gallon of ice cream in celebration! :))) I'm sure you look great! I don't think you could ever look fat!

Lalis said...

Heather I've never been pregnant so I don't think I can relate, but um, YOU'RE FREAKIN' GORGEOUS. I know I always tell you that, but that's only because it's true. You could be having one of the worst days in womanhood (feeling fat, bad hairday, huge zit on your forehead, etc...) and you'd still be gorgeous. I LOVE YOU!

Wendy said...

Heather -- I can so relate to all of that!!! Hopefully you can find a suit that will work for you. I hate maternity clothes too!!! Because of that very reason. Girls are such fun --- because you get to play dress up with them all the time and they look so cute. Until they get to be in Primary then however I can make anywhere on time is fine with me. Good Luck with the "fat phase".

jayna said...

I have loved catching up on your posts...this one especially spoke to me since I just barely went thru that! BLAH. So glad that stage is over for me...meaning pregnancy in general! :) Good luck- little girls are worth it! BTW- I love the name Lia- a little more unusual than some of the other really popular names you like. That's my two cents!

Leanne said...

Hey Heather! It's been a long time! It's fun to see your blog and what you've been up to since our BYU days. Congrats on baby #2!!

Endless Glow by Jenn said...

I love you! I feel the exact same way! I just made a large purchase to Motherhood Maternity just yesterday. Why is it that overnightg your body changes and then NOTHING fits! To make matters worse, my ankles swell at night. Can someone say "cankles?". Sick! I hear ya, but I really dfo think you look great!