Thursday, September 02, 2010

Older and Wiser

Today I went to the Shade store because, as you know, they are going out of business and are having a mega sale.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, I went to the fabric store and the Shade store (to try on swimsuits no less) all in one day WITH THREE CHILDREN. Oh right, I do know what I was thinking. I was thinking..... I never get the chance to go shopping without the kids, so no time better than the present.

The Fabric store went ok.... No running laps around the isles, pulling off bolts of fabrics... our trip was pretty mild. Then we went to the Shade store. OH DEAR. There were all of these lovely Utah Ladies (you know what I mean by that) walking around without children, with their pretty clothes, high heeled shoes and freshly glossed lips, browsing the racks for items they might want. And there I was, no shower yet today, no make-up, two kids who had just had pizza at Daddy's office for lunch (i love their chef, by the way), and they had it all over their clothes. The kids were running, hiding, fighting, pushing, pulling, selecting their own items of clothing off the racks..... onto the floor. They were barely paying any attention to me.

We made it out alive, thank goodness.

Have you ever had those moments when the kids are SO crazy. Like yesterday when Leah and Colette and Jeremiah were all crying at the same time for about an hour and I could only do two things at a time (one thing at a time died after kid #2).

But after those moments are gone I think.... "Ahhhhh.... peace and quiet. That was crazy; I love it." And I go on with my day not even thinking about the insanity that had passed.

If I had had one of those moments before I had kids they would have served as at least 10 years of birth control. I would have thought "Ahhhh, I can't do this, I can never have children."

I know I am not the most laid back person, but I am so glad that time has given me this small bit of wisdom, and the ability to not absolutely lose it when I have those moments of pure chaos.

The moments of pure bliss make it all worth it.

I love my chaotic, blissful life.

2 comments:

Amber Smith said...

Dang!! I wish you had told me you were going to Shade!! I didn't even know they were going out of business. I would have LOVED for you to pick a few things up for me. Oh well. Sounds like you had enough on your plate as it was :)

Lalis said...

I watch you with your kids and honestly, I think you're doing a fabulous job... Granted, I don't see you very often, but you are always under control. I think Heavenly Father is definitely blessing you with that wisdom you speak of. Maybe you'll share some of it once I start having kids, haha!