Monday, May 25, 2009

Update

I'm sure you ALL wanted to know that potty training is going remarkably well. I'm not brave enough to take him out in public without a pull-up on ( i know, it's only been 4 days) but at home, except for when he's sleeping he is all underwear. I'm still at the stage of having madatory 1/2 hour potty breaks, but he does tell me every so often when he needs to go, and we've only had two accidents, when I missed our potty break. I figure two accidents in four days isn't too bad!

I had so many people ask me between 6 months and a year ago if Jeremiah was potty trained. My response was"uh, no...." but I was thinking "Oh no! Is he supposed to be? Am I neglecting some monumentous motherly duty out of laziness?" But he really wasn't ready, and despite all the social pressure to have my child potty trained by 2, I am so glad I waited. I have dreaded this step for as long as I can remember, but because I waited until he was ready it (so far) has been remarkably easy and worry-free. I don't have to fight him on going to the bathroom (although sometimes he needs coaxing to take a break from playing long enough to do his business) He is picking it up naturally, and has now decided that he doesn't want to sit down on the toilet to pee, but stand up like a Man! Whatever. As long as he does it, I'm happy.

Now we just need him to start reading by age 4, doing algebra by age 6 and graduate from college at age 16. :)

Just kidding.

3 comments:

Becca Curzon said...

Good job Heather. Way to withstand the pressure! I tried Addy a few times within the last 6 months and every time she wasn't ready, so I just stopped.

I think it's great that he's only had 2 accidents in 4 days, Wow!

Are you using training pants, the padded underwear, or just underwear?

Good luck to you, keep me posted.

Melonie said...

Awesome! Congrats Jeremiah! Keep up the good work. :D

Myrna Curzon said...

Wow, standing up like a man, you are brave. Make sure he doesn't get distracted, or you will have some miss-fires.