I have a very short project attention span. If it takes more than a week, count me out. This couch project was started in August. Yes, August. it sat at various stages of completion for a month or two at a time.
The Process:
Step 1: Pick out all the seams of the back cushions to remove them from the couch.
Step 2: Pick out all the zippers (I needed them)
Step 3: use a bread knife to slice through the middle of all the bottom cushions.
Step 4: cut new 2" high density foam to size
Step 5: Use spray adhesize to stick the new foam in the center of the old cushion. (you can see this in the picture below)
Step 6: Cut new cotton batting to size
Step 7: use spray adheisive to cover the bottom cushions in the new batting. (I did all the spray adheisive stuff out on the grass on a large drop cloth. And yes, I spent a good 30 minutes picking cotton batting off my fingertips afterwards)
Step 8: Make new covers for the cushions out of a large white sheet. (this is to protect the batting when the real covers are removed, and then put back on)
Step 9: Cut foam to the size of the back cushions.
Step 10: Cut new cotton batting to size.
Step 10: Adhear the foam on the back of the cushions and then wrap with new cotton batting all around.
Step 11: Make covers for the back cushions out of a sheet.
Step 12: (See! We're already on step 12 and we haven't even started the REAL covers yet! This is not my kind of project, I should have known this). - Cut a bunch of 2" strips of white canvas on the bias and sew like 1,000 yards of piping.
Step 13: Make covers for the bottom cushions out of sturdy white canvas.
Step 14: Try them of, for fit.
Step 15: Realize that you totally made them about 1" too big all around (I'm not good estimating seam allowance).
Step 16: Pick out all the stitching.
Step 17: Do it over.
Step 18: Repeat with all the bottom cushions and top cushions except one (leaving out steps 15-17 for the last 3 cushions)
Step 19: Let it sit for a couple months, just mocking you.
Step 20: finally get around to finishing that last back cushion.
Step 21: cut out all the pieces for the couch base.
Step 22: lay it over the couch with the wrong side facing you and pin it all together.
Step 23: Sew, Sew, Sew (this part went surprisingly fast.
Step 24: put it on. ENJOY THE GLORY OF A FINISHED PROJECT.
This is what it looked like during the first stage: UGLY, and messy.
and TA-DA!
For anyone thinking that this is a great DIY project, a few words: 1. only attempt this if your couch is really sturdy. Ours, though ugly, and about 25 years old, have a really strong frames which have lifetime warrenties.
2. if you don't have to, skip the insanity involved with re-doing all the cushions. this was, by far the hardest and longest part, but for us, makes all the difference.
3. Cost - redoing the cushions- about $80. Fabric & Piping: $100. Needles - like 50 (i broke a LOT).
All in all, I am so happy with it, and I am really proud of myself for finishing it, and doing it. This was my first attempt and I was really terrified of doing it without my mom (a master seamstress and upholsterer), and I DID IT! On to the next unfinished project!
4 comments:
I saw that you had done this on Facebook and had to come check it out. You are so amazing! I am am so inspired! Thanks for sharing!
So, now that you have finished your first slip cover and total re-design of your sofa, I think you can call yourself a master. It is beautiful.
Good Job Heather. It looks great. I have re-upholstered a couch and ottoman of our and KNOW how time consuming it is! Way to go!
Heather, this takes me back to freshmen year when you made me feel that I was never gonna get married because you are SO STINKING TALENTED! HAHAHA! Seriously, you did an amazing job and you should feel proud of yourself for accomplishing it! I'm happy to have such a gifted friend :)
Post a Comment