Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cleaning Day

It happens, those days when I've neglected my home for so long that I cannot ignore the messes any longer. On these days I don't feel like I can just ignore my children, and reason that cleaning is more important than time together, because it's not. Even I know that. BUT I HAVE TO CLEAN. I'll go crazy if I live another minute longer in my messy house. So, this is my plan of attack, Arm Leah with a baby wipe, and Jeremiah with a spray bottle of water (it sometimes has a little vinegar in it) and a washcloth and give them special cleaning assignments. This is what cleaning days look like at my house:

Admittedly it takes twice as long to get anything actually clean, but a little water never hurt anything, and they love it, it teaches them the value of work, of helping and working together as a family, they still think its fun (we'll see how long this lasts) and it keeps them from whining at me to build things with legos (ok, only one whines about that). Have you employed child labor in your homes? How has it worked out? At what age does helping stop being fun for kids? I can't remember, which means it must be pretty young.

3 comments:

Myrna Curzon said...

Yes, I "employed" child labor. It worked marvelously (in my opinion). And you did eventually start complaining about it. Or maybe that was just to make me think you didn't like it and you secretly enjoyed every minute til the day you moved out. :)

Amber Smith said...

Genius! I am going to have to try this at my house. Course normally when I clean Shane just follows me around happily watching what I am doing.

Endless Glow by Jenn said...

I think that's great! Cade helps ne do laundry, dishes, and sweep. His favorite part is closing the door to the dishwasher or dryer and holding the dustpan for me. It takes so long, but he loves it!