


That was Jeremiah. I had an epidural, internal monitor, oxygen, episiotomy, I passed out while pushing and therefore Jeremiah was delivered via forcepts. And after he was born, I didn't have enough energy to left my arms enough to hold him, Greg held him first. Grrr.. If I look like a zombie (a chubby zombie) that's because I was, I don't remember a lot of it. 


And this is me holding her for the first time (sorry about the low cut hospital gown).
All in All: The first time around I didn't have any pain but I was SOOOOOO uncomfortable. I had all the "uncommon" side-effects from the epidural (severe shakes, drop in blood pressure, LOOPYness) With Leah, I had A LOT of pain, but at least I could deal with that, I could move around, I was in control of all my faculties.
I don't have a moral argument for whether or not to go natural, both my kids were healthy AND alert right after birth, but I would do it again naturally if i had the choice.
(The inspiration for this topic is my friend/cousin who's pregnant, there is a lot of birthing talk going around the female circles of my family these days, so it's on my mind)
4 comments:
Such an interesting discussion. With Amelie, I wanted to go natural, but ended up getting an epidural after my labor "stalled", etc. My epidural was great. No side effects, didn't prolong labor, Amelie was 100% healthy. With Calder, I hired a doula and wanted to try going natural again. And I did it! It was crazy and intense and painful, but what an experience! And it was really powerful for Bryce, too. Right after the 13 hour labor, I was sure I would never want to do it naturally again. But, you know how that goes. My sister in-law said it's like running a marathon. When you've finished, the last thing you want to do is run another marathon. But then, down the line, you do because of the power of the experience. And it was great not being numb after he was born--recovery was great. So, we'll see what I decide whenever baby #3 comes into the picture. Birth #1: Comfortable and fine. Birth #2: Uncomfortable, but life changing. (Of course, having a baby is always life changing, but you kjnow what I mean.) Anyway, that's my 2 cents ;)
I had epidurals for both of my kids and had no problems, no uncomfortableness. Being induced both times I don't think I could have made it through more pain that what I experienced before I got my epidural. Some people have bad experiences with epidurals and other have great experiences so it may just depend on your personal body, you anesthesiologist and your pain tolerance levels. :D Good luck to your friend/cousin!
That friend/cousin is me! Ya I am going natural...but again this is my first so we shall see:) Oh and you do look a lot different with Leah then Jeramiah, but with Jeramiah your pictures are hilarious!
Everyone has an opinion. But the truth is: Everyone is different. I haven't done it naturally, but I am here to tell you- the epidural was the BEST choice I have ever made :). At 9lbs, 4oz, lots of tearing and a rapid birth, having no epidural would have killed me! I was grateful that I couldn't feel that 9+ pound bullet shooting out and ripping things!
Post a Comment