Okay, be prepared for a slightly depressing post on my inadequacies and failures.
This is the person I wish I were:
I spend most of my day teaching my toddler his alphabet, numbers, shapes, animals and their sounds, etc.
I wake up each morning and go to the gym and then come home and shower and do my hair and make-up and put on nice clothes
I have taught my son not to hit, kick, or spit, and he almost always obeys, helps clean up, uses polite language like please and thank you, and sits quietly and plays with his toys or reads books when we are places like church, the doctors office, in line at the post office, etc.
I always have a meal ready each evening, even if it is a little later than I'd like. But I always have at least three dishes as well as a salad and it's not always culinary perfection, but it's always pretty good and very healthy.
I have taught my son to eat his vegetables, even though he doesn't love them yet.
I am always on time to appointments, meetings, etc. Sometimes I am even early, and I always have my bag packed with activities and books for the kids, as wells as extra clothes, diapers, food, etc. I'm always prepared for every situation.
I am very dependable. I never forget when I am asked to do something and I always prepare in plenty of time so that I can do it well.
I always do little things for my husband to remind him that he is important to me, and that I love him. Notes in his lunch, a call just to say I love him, a special treat from the grocery store (usually ice cream).
I keep my home neat and tidy. Dishes don't pile up in the sink (or all over the counters), and I keep my laundry hamper empty most of the time. I iron my husbands shirts and pants so that he doesn't have to wonder whether the shirt he wants to wear that day is wrinkled. Toys get put away each night and Jeremiah has learned to clean up all his own toys after being asked only once.
I am very organized. I am the CEO and CFO of our household. Each day is productive and I never let tasks go undone for very long.
I always take at least an hour to get the kids ready for bed, bathing, brushing and flossing teeth, choosing pj's, making sure we talk about our day, read books, sing songs, say prayers and tuck in their bed by 8:00pm. This routine rarely gets disrupted, even when patience is running low and time is running short.
OK - This is the person I am:
Most of my day is spent trying to control chaos. Jeremiah watches Sesame street, or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while I do apartment management stuff, answer emails, pay bills, fold clothes, do dishes, or just take (long) breaks surfing the blogging world for cute crafting, sewing, or decorating projects that would be so fun to do someday (someday when I get off my butt and actually do them)
Each morning I wake up. (Thats as much as I can guarantee) And I do wear clothes of some sort. Often times it's dance pants and a t-shirt. Showering... I usually remember at the end of the day that I haven't showered yet, so I take a quick one before bed, but doing my hair and make up? I usually do on sunday for church, it's a special occasion.
My child hits, kicks, spits, says rude things like "Hi Poo Poo" or "Stop it!!" and thinks that any open area is there for his enjoyment, like the post office, doctors offices, church halls, etc. He thinks they are the perfect place to "run fast like dash" and explore all the fun things that look like kids aren't supposed to touch.
Dinner... yes.... sometimes we eat it. I was doing well for a while. I was planning menus and doing my grocery shopping for the week. Lately I'm lucky if I make one dish for dinner, and have it ready sometime before 7pm.
Vegetables, yes, Jeremiah knows what they are, they are the colorful things on his plate that he won't touch.
Being on time is really just a dream now. I am generally between 10-15 minutes late to everything and I always seem to forget something that I need, a diaper, a coat (it's been below freezing the past week), a child (okay, I've never actually done this, but knowing me I totally would get Leah ready in her car seat and then forget to take her out to the car).
I have learned to volunteer for less because I seem to forget until the last minute those things I have volunteered for, or even just the things that I know I am supposed to do for months, but procrastinate and remember about the night before, like sharing time, or emails for playgroup.
My poor husband is so patient with me. He's lucky if he gets a "Hi" when he walks in the door at the end of the day. It's usually a "Hey, can you change Leah's diaper I need to go get the knives from Jeremiah that he found in the kitchen drawer". Is it so much to ask for me to simply say "Hi babe, I'm so glad you're home" before I begin the long list of things I want him to do that very same moment?
My house right now.... clean dishes still in the dishwasher (you know its bad when you just use your dishwasher as a cupboard) dirty dishes in the sink and all over the counters, clean laundry from two days ago that I finally folded today (it might get to the point where we use the laundry baskets as dressers, just find what you need for that day) I did manage to clean up most of the little toys, but the stuff that I was tripping over and just didn't want to see anymore was just put in the office and I shut the door behind me!
Bedtime is less than rigid in our house. the other night Jeremiah went to sleep finally at 11:30... Tonight Jeremiah was being less than charming and I put him to bed without a bath, brushing teeth, books, songs, prayer... nothing. Just "goodnight, I love you" and shut the door behind me. If I didn't do that I think I would have strangled the kid. (I wouldn't REALLY, don't worry, but I might have pulled my hair out, or started crying... yup, I definately probably would have started crying)
So... now that you all know how far I am from where I want to be I want your input... How do I get there? How do I motivate myself to be that wonderful wife, mother, friend and person that I want to be? What has helped you?
9 comments:
I am so there with you, Heather. So, at least you're not alone. But I can sympathize and I want to better, too. I was just reading a friend's blog. She just got married, is working on her PhD, her hubby makes homemade bread every week, they don't have the internet or T.V. at home, they discuss American literature before going to bed. I think I need to stop reading that blog because, honestly, it just makes me feel like a loser. Sometimes I just want to scream, "Yes! I admit it! My child watches television!" lol
But, really, I think we need to learn to give ourselves more credit. And maybe work on one thing at a time. I think next week I am going to try only getting online when Amelie is asleep (naptime or at night). I bet I would get those dishes done earlier in the day that way. So, that's my suggestion: one thing at a time. Oh, and CostCo. They have the best frozen meals that are tasty, healthy, and pretty reasonably priced (garlic chicken with pasta, broccoli, and carrots--yum!). But don't get too down. Being a mom is tough and not always very exciting or idyllic. But I bet you're doing a great job.
Raven
I'm not really in a place to give much advice on the matter right now, but I have definitely been where you are! Having a baby totally throws you off your game, and sometimes it takes a long time to even feel semi-functional again, let alone on top of things. I used to feel bad that I let my kids watch t.v., but you know what? Sometimes Sesame Street or Cinderella is the only way I get a shower or can make dinner or just have a little time to myself. Unless Jeremiah is watching t.v. 8 hours a day, don't beat yourself up. You'll keep adjusting, little by little. Good luck!
Maturity is such a great thing. I helps you see that each generation just goes through the same learning process. Heather, did you suffer much because you watched sesame street every day, or because your mom was so tired from working through most of the night that she dozed on the couch while you watched a movie? Yup, that is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And there you are, a smart, caring woman with goals to do her best for her children--I guess Sesame Street and a video (OK, I admit there were days when it was more than one video) did not do you much harm. Be who you are and love your kids. They will look back when they become intelligent caring adults and tell you they love you and appreciate what you were able to do for them.
Heather, you're a wife and mom of two young kids... very young kids. That right there says a lot about who you are! I think it's awesome that you want to be better because we all have room for improvement, but I also think that so far you're doing great. Pick one of those things (may I emphasize the word "one"?) and work on it. Once you have it down, work on another and so on... Don't overwhelm yourself trying to run faster than you're able. Oh, and remember that there are people out there that admire you for everything you are, including myself.
I think you are doing awesome...I hope to be as good a mom as you.
I am convinced that womankind has made up this person we all wish we could be, the only problem is...we will never find her, for she does not exist! Don't beat yourself up. You are like every other mother in this world. Overworked, overwhelemed, under paid, under appreciated, but very loved by those you care for! :)
Heather! It's been so long. I freaking LOVED this post. You have just said what everyone is afraid to admit: being a wife and mother is difficult, exhausting, thankless and frustrating.
No one blogs about the days their husband is moody, or about how their kids say "Hi Poo Poo" (that made me laugh out loud, btw). Thanks for saying it out loud. It's refreshing!
There is safety in numbers.
You're not the only one.
:)
i know it's been said before, but i think you're doing great! and the advice that i would give is already given. :)
Post a Comment