Friday, September 04, 2015

The New Lemonade Stand

You know that quintessential dixie cup of crappy lemonade that adorable little kids sell to passers-by?

Yeah, my kids don't do that.

That's boring. Boring kids sell lemonade. My kids wanted to do something different, something unique, something awesomer than lemonade.

Plus, the kids across the street were already selling lemonade so they sort of cornered that market.

No, my kids decided to sell apple slices... just picture it, you drive or walk up to an adorable little girl at a little table with a bowl full of fresh, browned apples that had probably been touched by a million little hands in the process of being prepared.

YUM.

They wisely decided to listen to their mother and not sell apple slices.

I recommended milk and cookies.

BOOM. I had them at cookies... and chocolate... and sugar... and licking the bowl.

So Hayley, our adorable little 12 year old neighbor helped Leah and Colette and all the neighbor kids bake some chocolate chip cookies. They set up their table, easle, and cooler for the milk. And of course anyone who helped got one cookie free...

Hmm... where did all the cookies go?

Never fear. Mom thought ahead and suggested a double batch.









So, they sat outside for a couple hours, sold a couple cookies and ate the rest. It was adorable. Hazel and I joined them for a while. She was hoping for a cookie, but she didn't have a dime, and she didn't help so she couldn't get a free one.

Bummer.

On a side note. The night before Leah and I stayed up talking while I fed Hazel. We discussed this plan to make and sell cookies the next day and how much she should charge. In the weeks previous the neighboor boy had made a killing selling rocks. Yes, rocks. Mostly to my children. They emptied their money bags to buy ROCKS. Anyway, if he could sell a rock for a quarter then surely a fresh hot chocolate chip cookie was worth at least $100. Just kidding. I suggested she sell her cookies for a penny, that way even the kids who didn't have very much could still buy one. Since her customer base was primarily their small group of neighborhood friends, average age: 6.  She thought about that for a moment and then said "But mom, if I sold them for a penny I'd have to sell 100 cookies to make a dollar!" I said. "why yes, you would" but inside I was thinking "I never taught you that, I didn't know you knew currency". Then we dove into quarters, and then into an entire lesson on fractions. At 9 o'clock at night. This is homeschool for us. Too bad they started school the week after. Maybe next year again!?



No comments: