Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pinterest

Ok. I'll say it. I love Pinterest. But I have a major bone to pick with people who keep pinning pictures like this as "Motivation" or "My Goal":
 and this:

I might not be fighting to be thin, but I GET what it is to have a weight problem. I GET what it is to have an eating problem. And I GET what it is to want my body to look like something it's not. But REALLY???? THIS is what we're shooting for? It breaks my heart to know that this is what we think is normal, and good, and right for us. We should NOT be putting up posters all over the walls of our minds of the 1% of women who have bodies like that. How is that supposed to make us feel? Come on ladies!?!?!?!?! What happened to real women, women who took care of their bodies because they wanted to be strong, not because they wanted to look like the 1%. Who cared more about what their bodies could DO than what they looked like.

We get enough false and degrading messages from the media, and society, we do NOT need to give them to ourselves.  I loved this article in the NY Times about the real goal we should have for our bodies.

2 comments:

Lalis said...

You're fabulous!!! - Lalis

Myrna Curzon said...

I love the post! Not only are the bodies unrealistic, but they are photoshopped beyond recognition. Even the person who is the subject of the photo does not have a body like that. The reality is that there is 0% of the population who has a body anything like that.