Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Lesson Learned #2 and #3... through #8


 (the kids at thanksgiving point riding ponies)

{{So, the kids took exceptionally long naps this afternoon and I felt like reflecting on April while it was fresh in my mind, so instead of posting all these lessons throughout the month, you get it all in one shot.  Sorry, it's a lot of writing.}}

#2 I don't care about you people as much as I thought I did.

While it's nice to know what is going on in the lives of old friends, distant family members, and neighboors, i find that I get along just fine without reading their facebook status changes on a regular basis. In fact. I really didn't miss reading what people were doing, what they ate for lunch, or the latest book they read.

I do, however, cherish good conversation with friends and family. Those I call, or call me, who I visit, sit next to at church, yell to across the street, or yard, and I deeply appreciate getting to know people and who they are, including what they are doing, what they ate for lunch, and the latest book they read. I really appreciate my friends and family.

#3 I can get a lot done when I don't waste my time finding things for myself to do.

There are some brilliant people out there who do brilliant things, and they are kind enough to post their brilliance on blogs to inspire me and encourage me to try new things too. HOWEVER, the more time I spend looking at new things to do, the less time I spend actually DOING them. I am, by nature, a dreamer, not so much a doer. So being forced to find something to DO, rather than search for projects to add to my list, really helped me.

#4 I'm not as ugly as I thought.

Turns out I'm a lot happier with myself, my body, my clothes, my children, my husband and my home when I don't seek out supermodel women, with J Crew husbands, and Baby Gap children, who live in Pottery Barn/Antique store homes to compare my life to. :) Weird.

#5 I DON'T OWN A PHONEBOOK

A few things i never use because I have the blessed internet: A phonebook. A map. A recipe book. Who knew I was s reliant on those things for functioning. However, I will say that this is not something I am going to choose to change moving forward. I am GLAD I have dex.com, google maps, and All Recipes to reference in my daily life. I'm not giving it up, and I don't care.

#6 Movies can be a fun, positive thing. Intention should guide me.

You know how lame a movie is for a date night or a family night? Turns out, it wouldn't be if you never watched them any other time. This is what I decided. If I want to turn on a movie I need to decide what my intention or motive is. if it is to merely occupy (the kids, or myself) then it doesn't get turned on. No questions asked. If it's because we want to watch a specific show together as a family, then I think that's great.

#7 Media isn't the only noise in my life

I suppose I expected great spiritual revelations when I turned off the worldly noise in my life. And at the end of each week I thought. Ok, this next week will be different. I will make it a point to listen for the Spirit and be available for promptings. And each week I was dissapointed that I didn't feel a huge change in myself. This is something that I'm not done working on. But I think I found it so hard to do because my life is loud even without movies and blogs and email. I have three children under the age of 5 so that creates a lot of noise, audible, and not. But beyond that, I think that I have a very loud and talkative inner voice. My mind is constantly on full speed and I have a hard time turning it off, even to go to sleep. So, I need to work on that.

#8 My computer is my personal assistant

Do you know how many meetings I missed because I didn't have the calendar from my computer, or my email? MAN! Sorry everyone!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Thanks for sharing Heather. This was really insightful. I especially like #2,3,4. #7 was surprising as well.

Abby Wright said...

I would easily do this challange if I didnt have to track everything I eat on the computer. But I think I would only last a week. I would be very lost with out my maps and reciepies too :)