I know that sending the kids to school this year is the right thing. Hazel is working through some sort of reflux or digestion issue, which we are working on solving, and the sleep deprivation is intense. I know It will be a good break for the kids and a good break for me. I'll post some pictures of their first day later. They are going to Mountain Sage Community School, which is pretty much the greatest so far.
But the other night Leah and I were up late talking as I was nursing Hazel. We were making plans for Leah to bake and sell chocolate chip cookies and milk. We were trying to decide how much to charge. I suggested she sell them for a penny so that even the kids without a lot of money could buy one. She looked at me very seriously and said
"But mom, I would have to sell 100 cookies to make one dollar."
"Why yes, yes you would" (I didn't know she knew that)
Then we dove into fractions, and since I didn't have any paper on hand to use for our illustrations we used the last page of my journal. We discussed fractions and equivalent fractions. Which I'm pretty sure kids don't learn in 1st grade.
This is how I dream of homeschooling all the time. And I'm hoping we will revisit home school again next year. At this point the kids want nothing more than going to MSCS. I guess that is a good thing, but I am a little hopeful that they won't love it so much at the end of the year so I can coax them back into homeschooling. :)
For now, I'll just have to dive into all the pre-calculus with this girl in the evenings ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment